St John’s Community Centre has a rich history spanning 50 years. Church Missionary Society (CMS) started the Centre in 1957 with a purpose of providing social welfare and psychological support to the immigrants from the rural areas who had settled in Pumwani area of Nairobi. The Centre is one of the institutions of Anglican Church of Kenya which is under Nairobi Diocese .The Centre is governed by a management board of 15 people who are appointed by the Bishop in-charge of Nairobi Diocese through the standing committee of the synod. The Centre has a management team that executes the policies and strategic plans and ensures the needs of the target beneficiaries are addressed.
A just, socially and economically empowered community where every person has quality livelihood
To uplift the spiritual, social-economic and other human conditions of vulnerable communities by facilitating them to realize their potentials through enhanced capacity guided by the christian spirit of "bearing one another's burden"
Vulnerable communities empowered to effectively address root causes of poverty and injustices for the attainment of sustainable livelihoods.
- Participatory development: Webelieve all stakeholders need to be involved in the development process
- Stewardship of God’s creation: Wepractice andpromote servant leadership as required by God
- Justice and services to all people without any form of discrimination: We are committed in serving all peoples regardless of their political affiliation, religion, sex, age, ethnicity, race, colour, or education.
- Gender equity: Both women and men must be involved in development as equal partners and more specifically in equal representation.
- Transparency and Accountability: Weprovidedemocratic space that promotesopen and systematic management procedures. We are also accountable to all stakeholders
- Responsive: Webelieve in adaptability since the world is dynamic and we constantly review our programmes and management systems.
- Sustainability: We believe that the community comprises people who are able to realize their potential and be active movers of their own destiny
- Networking and partnership: We believe inmaintaining and building relationship with all the stakeholders in order to provide comprehensive services.
- Motivated and committed workforce: The Centre’s workforce is its most precious asset and every person is an inseparable part of the SJCC happy family. SJCC strives to maintain a highly committed and motivated workforce that functions with minimum supervision.