St. John's Community Centre : Who we are
St. John’s Community Centre (SJCC) is a Christian community-service organization of the Anglican Church of Kenya (ACK), Diocese of Nairobi. It was established in 1957, by the Church Missionary Society (CMS) primarily to address the spiritual and psychological problems of the Pumwani community. The community (slum/informal settlement) comprised of poor and vulnerable people who had immigrated from rural areas in search of a better life. SJCC is governed by a Management Board of 15 people, who are appointed by the Bishop of ACK Diocese of Nairobi.
SJCC has been a key player in facilitating social development work in Pumwani area since its inception and beyond. Over the years, the approaches and scope of social development work have experienced greater transformation. Indeed SJCC has transformed itself from a welfare and relief organization to a facilitator of sustainable social development beyond Pumwani area. The organization has embraced research and assessments that have continually informed programming and organizational development components.
- Participatory development: We believe all stakeholders need to be involved in the development process
- Stewardship of God’s creation: We practice and promote servant leadership as required by God.
- Justice and services to all people without any form of discrimination: We are committed to serving all peoples regardless of their political affiliation, religion, sex, age, ethnicity, race, color, or education.
- Gender equity: Both women and men must be involved in development as equal partners and more specifically in equal representation.
- Transparency and Accountability: Weprovidedemocratic space that promotes open and systematic management procedures. We are also accountable to all stakeholders
- Responsive: We believe in adaptability since the world is dynamic and we constantly review our programs and management systems.
- Sustainability: We believe that the community comprises people who are able to realize their potential and be active movers of their own destiny
- Networking and partnership: We believe in maintaining and building a relationship with all the stakeholders in order to provide comprehensive services.
- Motivated and committed workforce: The Centre’s workforce is its most precious asset and every person is an inseparable part of the SJCC happy family. SJCC strives to maintain a highly committed and motivated workforce that functions with minimum supervision.
SJCC Staff and its leaders.
Looking For a Job?
St. John's Community Centre (SJCC) is and equal opportunity employer. We are constantly seeking for persons who share our vision. Check out our careers page for the available opportunities.